How to find investment opportunities - and how they find you - is called dealflow. As an investor, it is the equivalent of a form of marketing or sales where you sometimes receive opportunities directly (inbound dealflow), and sometimes you will be the person who contacts the founders to assess their willingness to raise funds (with you!) (outbound dealflow). Dealflow is the investor's lifeline. You can only pick and choose from the opportunities you see coming your way, as and when they arise. Startups, and especially the best ones, are not constantly raising funds and timing is essential for you to get the best deals.
These notions of dealflow and timing are the major reasons why we created ㊙️ Kodawari. We fundamentally believe that the majority of professionals do not necessarily have the time or access to quality dealflow and for this reason, we give the keys for everyone to become a Business Angel and participate in extraordinary entrepreneurial adventures.
Let's get to the heart of the matter, how to find dealflow? As an investor, the most important thing is to develop a reputation of "good understanding" with entrepreneurs and, above all, to put forward the subjects, industries and problems in which you have experience and therefore in which you will be able to support the founders. Rome wasn't built in a day and a quality dealflow takes time to set up as the first successes become known.
Kodawari allows you to start and especially to grow as an investor by relying on a dealflow pre-qualified by professionals and above all, by attaching you to a quality club that attracts the best French and European entrepreneurs. That being said, you are the ultimate investor and it is essential that you define your own themes and sometimes turn down opportunities that may be too far from your comfort zone.
#Deal flow tactics & tips
Kodawari is not intended to be your only source of dealflow, although we will do our utmost to ensure that it allows you to develop a quality portfolio. For this reason we have developed a series of tactics for you and your dealflow, whether it comes from Kodawari or not
- Support the most talented people in your network** regardless of their activity. As we mentioned before, the biggest factor in the success of a startup is its founding team
- Secondly, Support the founders who are trusted by the talented people in your network as an effective way to expand your circle of trust and thus expand the opportunities available to you.
- An important point is that no matter what you do or do not do, you already have a dealflow of opportunities. Don't change your life with the sole purpose of getting dealflow.
- Position yourself as an expert in your field of activity ** Entrepreneurs building startups in this field will contact you, especially if you are recognized. If you ever want to develop your professional brand there are many ways to do so. Blogs, podcasts, professional social networks, participate in panels, become a source for journalists specialising in your field... or any other way.
- Make a list of the people who impress you most in your city, industry or role. Send them a personalized note, invite them for coffee or set up a call to get recommendations and advice on angel investing. If all goes well, ask them for introductions to talented entrepreneurs and participate in the same opportunities as them!
In the end, be yourself, and remember that while you won't be investing in 99% of startups, you are putting your image and credibility on the line with every discussion so don't be afraid to offer your help. The founders will appreciate and remember you!
Any questions? Feel free to contact us at email@example.com